Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rainbow Chili


Chili is great because it is jam packed with protein, which makes it hearty and filling. What I don't like about most chili is that they are usually monotone, my brain and tummy sense something amiss when they don't see any green on my plate. This is no reason to discount chili because I don't think that there is any reason not to marry traditional chili's protein punch with an array of vitamins and nutrients by adding some fresh veggie's. When I cook or make a salad I love to see as many colors as possible because it means that I am getting a good variety of nutrients, hence the name of this recipe-- Rainbow Chili.

Above are the ingredients that went into the crock pot for the chili, all except the mango. I bought the mango along with some of the other produce, and thought it looked pretty.

There is nothing better than chili in a crock pot, it really allows the flavors to come out and simmer together, it also allows one more freedom to get other stuff done because you can throw it all in and forget about it for a few hours. So while this recipe can be done on the stove, this is what went into my crock pot.


- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 sweet peppers
- 2 Hawaiian chili peppers
- 2 ears of local corn
- long beans
- kale
- Okinawan sweet potato
- 1 can each of garbanzo, black, and kidney beans
- 1 can of tomato paste
- chili powder and cumin (sorry, I do not measure out spices, I add some taste, and repeat)
- Salt and pepper
- honey


This is a picture of the veggies representing the colors of the rainbow. I let those cook for about 2 hours before adding the beans, since the beans are already cooked.

And this is a picture of the final product. It turned out really amazing, which can be vouched for by others. Another great feature of crock pots and stews in general... leftovers! Can't wait to eat this again tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment